Monday, November 8, 2010

His Image In Our Countenance

Have you ever known somebody that you just wanted to be near because of how you felt when you were around them?  Many years ago when I was a young mother (and that WAS MANY YEARS AGO) there was a sister in our ward who I just felt drawn to.  She was probably about 10 years older than myself and we really didn't share anything much in common except we were in the same ward.  I don't think I even realized why I was drawn to her because I was much to busy thinking about me.  Her influence has stayed with me for 32 years.  Years later when I had 7 children and lived in a different state I met another sister in our ward that I also felt drawn to.  I loved to be around her.  Again, she was older and we really didn't have anything in common but I just loved how I felt when I was around her.  Comparing this sister to the first sister that I had known they didn't have much in common either.  Yet, everyone loved these ladies.  People were drawn to them.  Now 19 years later I still think of them both and the influence that they had on my life.  It wasn't the clothes they wore or the house they lived in.  It wasn't their figures since both were shaped completely different.  It wasn't the possessions they owned or the crafts they designed.  What these two very special sisters had was the love of Christ and His image in their countenance.  It radiated from their face.  They were more concerned with their relationship with the Savior than what they wore or what size they were.  They loved me because they loved Him.  I could feel it.

Sheri Dew once said, "The Holy Ghost is a gift of power.  The Holy Ghost inspires and heals, guides and warns, enhances our natural capacities, inspires charity and humility, makes us smarter than we are, strengthens us during trials, testifies of the Father and the Son, and shows us "all things" that we should do.  He helps us do more and become more than we could ever do or become on our own."


What I saw in them was the presence of the Holy Ghost in their life.  They lived their life so as to not offend the spirit.  I am trying to be more concerned with my countenance and less concerned with worldly standards of beauty. I want to have His image in my countenance.  That is the standard of beauty that I am seeking. 

2 comments:

Rob and Jen said...

Kathy--

You ARE one of those women in my life. Honestly, I could describe you just the way you described these women you know. Thank you for always showing your love and concern for others around you, and for striving to have the Spirit with you. It truly shows in YOUR countenance.

Allred's said...

Hi Kathy, My name is Amy Allred. I currently live in Utah, I don't believe you know me at all. In fact, I found your blog on the web as I was searching for some talk material for this Easter Sunday. My topic is, "Developing Christlike Attributes," and that is exactly what I have found on your blog. I have felt the Spirit tremendously as I have read your blog. (I prayed just minutes before coming to your blog, that I would be inspired to find the right information to share, and your blog was the first that showed up.) Thank you for sharing! I believe you may live in Queen Creek. My brother, Chris Stalder, lives there too. Anyways, thank you again. Your blog is beautiful!