Monday, March 30, 2009

Lucy! Lucy! Lucy!

Last friday afternoon,I found out that auditions were that evening for the Queen Creek Performing Arts Center production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". My son Ammon wanted to audition for the children's chorus so I quickly helped him prepare a mean rendition of "Happy Birthday". As we were practicing, Banner decided that he too wanted to audition for the play. I agreed thinking that maybe he would change his mind once we got there. We arrived at auditions to a room full of people, mostly adults, who seemed to be pretty serious about auditioning. I got the boys signed in, their information paper filled out, and their picture taken. We were waiting for our turn to be called when my friend Suzanne arrived with her daughter. We sat and chatted and she asked if I was going to audition. I laughed and said that I wasn't quite that talented. She assured me that being in the chorus was fun and not too hard and talked me into auditioning. It is a good thing that she wasn't trying to talk me into drinking or something because I obviously cave into peer pressure quite easily! I didn't have a song prepared. Heck, I couldn't even think of a song that I knew the words to! They called our group of 10 in and we were taught a dance. A DANCE!!!! Suzanne failed to tell me that I would have to learn a dance. I am not a dancer. I can barely walk straight. So I giggled, well, I actually laughed right out loud at myself, and proceeded to try and dance. When we actually went in to the room to audition in front of the guys in charge I couldn't stop smiling because I was so entertained with myself trying to sing and dance. I just kept thinking of Lucy. You know, Lucy Ricardo. I have many Lucy moments but I think that this was close to one of my finer Lucy moments. When my group of ladies (about 5 of us)got up to do the dance I just smiled and stumbled my way through the routine thinking that I was surely going to make Ethel proud. Then we had to sing. Remember, I didn't have anything prepared. My Ammon and Banner did so great. I am so glad that I decided to audition so that I could be with them in the room! Then my turn came. The only song that I could come up with on a moments notice was......wait for it....it truly is a classic.....the ever famous and popular.....POPCORN POPPING ON THE APRICOT TREE with all of the actions! I sang in my best Lucy voice with my best Lucy attitude! I must have been amazing because to my great surprise I got a call back for tonight. I got the call saturday night and again, I laughed right out loud. I laughed even harder when I was told that they were calling back for the leads. She also said that I had caught the attention of the production team. By now I was snorting. It is amazing how far you can get with Popcorn Popping with the actions! I went to call backs tonight and just when I thought I couldn't have anymore of a Lucy moment, I managed to have probably the best Lucy moment I have ever had. They taught us this really cute 60's type dance that went really fast and demanded moves that my body just wasn't meant to do! But I did my best and I am sure that I provided much needed entertainment to those that actually had talent and the ability to dance! I was not in the final group that they called up to dance again for them. Whew. I was worried. I am just not sure that my family could spare me if I were to be discovered and have to go share my Lucy dancing with the world!

No comments: